Take the Jeff Macharyas Crossword Challenge! Think you know everything about me? Think again! Test your knowledge by clicking the link below. Answers can be found on my LinkedIn profile.
Senior Graphic Designer/Art Director
St. Lawrence University | 2016-present
Canton, New York
- Art director for St. Lawrence University magazine. Improved workflow from native files and vendor-controlled color correction to PDF submission, online proofing and in-house color correction. Initiated the use of Adobe InCopy to improve editorial efficiency.
- Design logos, brochures, posters and other marketing material for various departments at St. Lawrence University
- Manage projects, schedules and vendors. Converted job production logs from paper to web-based, interactive job tracking system. Consult with the IT department evaluating RFPs for new equipment for print shop.
- Realizing a potential savings of more than $100,000/year by switching vendors and retooling mailing methods while converting magazine to perfect binding, improving paper and adapting design to new format
Contractor | 2003-present
Produced publications, websites, books, ads, logos, and other marketing material, such as VON magazine, Plastics Equipment Trends, Winchester Life, Abelson Reprints and more. Produce proper files and maintain schedules and budgets.
- Contributing writer to Opensource.com: Emerging Contributor 2017 award and Contributor’s Club inductee. 2016-present
- Contributing writer and designer to The Writerists House Publishing Company. 2017-present
- Writer/Art Director for The Pineapple Post newspaper; wrote, researched and edited newspaper. 2012-2014
- Art Director for The American Spectator magazine. Designed and produced magazine. Redesigned the publication. Designed annual reports, prototype issues, direct mail, ads and books. 2003-2007, 2012-2014
- Art Director for the USO’s OnPatrol magazine. Designed brochures, books and other marketing material. 2009-2012
Outdoor Sportsman Group | 2013-2015
Ensured that Florida Sportsman magazine was produced correctly and on time. Guided production for 13 issues per year, as well as media kits, websites, print and online ads using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, WordPress and Illustrator.
- Produced interactive media kits and forms, ads, trade show material and book illustrations.
- Used digital forensics to identify and fix files.
- Researched market trends, competition and partners using open source analytics.
- Produced reports using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Introduced an innovative “flipbook” concept for newsstand customers
Today’s Campus magazine | 2007-2010
West Palm Beach, Florida
The Greentree Gazette was a publication for college business offices. Improved the design and production of the publication and forged a closer relationship with the vendors. To better reflect the audience, re-branded the magazine to Today’s Campus. Designed the logo and redesigned the magazine to give it a professional appearance. Student Loan Buying Guide was added in 2008.
- Initiated a subscription and renewal program that generated qualified subscriptions for the first time.
- Wrote and produced e-newsletters, email blasts and analyzed results, wrote articles for todayscampus.com.
- Managed printers, editors, writers, and freelancers—reduced cost and improved turnaround time.
Selling Power magazine | 1997-2006
Selling Power magazine was a publication for sales professionals. Managed the production, distribution and audio content of Selling Power Live—the audio version of the magazine. Created innovative mailers and CD inserts for inclusion in the magazine that saved printing and postal costs. Negotiated with multiple vendors to reduce the unit cost from more than a dollar to less than 25 cents.
- Converted file delivery from PostScript to PDF workflow, which decreased turnaround time by two days and cost by 20%.
- Ensured quality by press, bindery and shipping checks for press runs of 260,000+ each month.
- Slashed mailing and shipping costs by developing innovative mailing and packaging methods.
- Designed and analyzed subscription efforts and determined the best price points, messages and colors.
- Established a reprints department—generating $60,000+ per year.
Coast Publishing | 1985-1996
Port St. Lucie, Florida
Coast Publishing rapidly grew from one title to eight (Quick Printing, Southern Graphics, Craftsmen Review, Magazine Issues, Artes Graficas, Printing Products International, Conversion y Empaque and Tecnologia del Plastico. Started as the art director for one magazine, producing approximately 100 pages per month to more than 500 pages per month with the addition of more titles, along with more collateral support, direct response cards, inserts, media kits and newsletters for the titles. Produced the magazines from initial layout to final files and created schedules, bought paper and trained associates as my team grew. I investigated and initiated new methods, hardware and programs to improve quality and efficiency.
Started as a graphic designer and advanced to leading a team of 15 designers and editors. In addition to being a designer. Editor, writer, and circulation manager for eight titles, some of which were published in Spanish.
Spearheaded publishing efforts with partners in Colombia and South Africa, developed editorial, circulation, and marketing goals, established budgets, schedules and vendor contracts.
Controlled a $2 million annual budget for printing, paper, prepress, personnel and shipping.
Wrote articles on the technical aspects of printing and interviewed industry leaders (Kinko’s founder Paul Orfalea, Time Magazine’s art director David Merrill, SNAP Instant Printing’s founder Paddy Thompson, etc.) in America and Australia.
- Utica College
Master’s in Cybersecurity—Specialization in Computer Forensics | 2015
- Rutgers University
Mini-MBA Graduate Certificate—Social Media Marketing | 2012
- Florida State University
Bachelor’s in Communications and Visual Arts—Specialization in Advertising | 1983
CERTIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Design Software: Adobe Creative: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Pro, Premiere
- Operating Systems: Apple OSX, Windows, Linux
- Online Tools: HTML, CSS, Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, WordPress, Hex Editor
- Miscellaneous Programs: Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook
Open Source: Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP, OpenShot Video Editor, VLC, Darktable
- Certifications: Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ), FEMA: Social Media, Nat’l. Infrastructure, Dale Carnegie
- Video/Newspaper: Associate producer and on-air talent for 1800 Seconds TV show and ad production artist for The Florida Flambeau newspaper while at Florida State University
St. Lawrence University Saturday Enrichment Program: “Graphic Design Using Open Source Tools” | Fall 2017
St. Lawrence University Retiree Meeting: “Cybersecurity for Retirees” | April 2017
- Designer/Seminar Speaker/Database Consultant
Treasure Coast YMCA | Stuart, Florida | 2011-2016
- Website Designer/Charter Member
Treasure Coast Fencing Academy | Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2008-2016
- Website Designer/Treasurer/Scout Leader/Secretary/Unit Founder | Boy Scouts of America | Lake of the Woods, Virginia
and Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2000-2013
- Website Designer/Board Member
Little League Baseball | Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2009-2010
- Designer/Communications Committee Member
Lake of the Woods Association | Locust Grove, Virginia | 2005-2007
- Graphic Design/Technology Consultant
Lake Currents | Lake of the Woods, Virginia | 2005-2007
- Website Designer/Teacher’s Helper
Orange Schools | Locust Grove, Virginia | 2004-2007 | Volunteer of the Year-2006