Jeff Macharyas is a writer, project manager and designer. Jeff has worked in publishing, advertising and higher education for many years, where he has produced award-winning magazines, developed innovative print, web and audio products, judged printing and scholarship awards and always has his eye on the return on investment.
Jeff has saved organizations thousands of dollars per year by exploring options, developing relationships with vendors and asking the right questions to get projects done properly, quickly and within budget. Jeff’s experience with cybersecurity and Open Source Intelligence makes him an expert researcher and writer who can find the answers to most design and marketing challenges.
Jeff writes for OpenSource.com, a website dedicated to open source technology. In 2017 he was named an Emerging Contributor, in 2018 won the People’s Choice Award and became a Community Moderator for OpenSource.com in February 2018.
Jeff is a licensed Amateur Radio Operator: K2JPM and certified in Google Analytics.
Development Writer-Development & Alumni Relations
Clarkson University | 2017-present
Potsdam, New York
- Development writer, content creator, editorial project manager.
St. Lawrence University | 2016-2017
Canton, New York
- Art director for St. Lawrence University magazine. Improved workflow from native files and vendor-controlled color correction to PDF submission, online proofing and in-house color correction. Initiated the use of Adobe InCopy to improve editorial efficiency
- Designed and produced marketing material for departments at St. Lawrence University
- Managed projects, schedules and vendors. Take on projects that have been produced out-of-house while improving the reputation of the Communications department
- Realized a potential savings of more than $100,000/year by switching vendors and retooling mailing methods and changing magazine to perfect binding, adding pages, changing paper from gloss to a heavier matte for better readability and adapted design to new format to maintain a consistent feel that honors the University’s brand
Contractor | 2003-present
Produced publications, websites, books, ads, logos, and other marketing material, such as VON magazine, Plastics Equipment Trends, Winchester Life, Abelson Reprints and more. Produce proper files and maintain schedules and budgets.
- Contributing writer to Opensource.com: Emerging Contributor 2017 award and Contributor’s Club inductee. 2016-present
- Writer/Art Director for The Pineapple Post newspaper; wrote, researched and edited newspaper. 2012-2014
- Art Director for The American Spectator magazine. Designed and produced magazine. Redesigned the publication. Designed annual reports, prototype issues, direct mail, ads and books. 2003-2007, 2012-2014
- Art Director for the USO’s OnPatrol magazine. Designed brochures, books and other marketing material. 2009-2012
Creative Services Manager/Designer
Outdoor Sportsman Group | 2013-2015
Ensured that Florida Sportsman magazine was produced correctly and on time. Guided production for 13 issues per year, as well as media kits, websites, print and online ads using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, WordPress and Illustrator.
- Produced interactive media kits and forms, ads, trade show material and book illustrations
- Used digital forensics to identify and fix files
- Researched market trends, competition and partners using open source analytics
- Produced reports using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Introduced an innovative “flipbook” concept for newsstand customers
Creative Services Director/Writer
Today’s Campus magazine | 2007-2011
West Palm Beach, Florida
The Greentree Gazette was a publication for college business offices. Improved the design and production of the publication and forged a closer relationship with the vendors. To better reflect the audience, re-branded the magazine to Today’s Campus. Designed the logo and redesigned the magazine to give it a professional appearance. Student Loan Buying Guide was added in 2008.
- Initiated a subscription and renewal program that generated qualified subscriptions for the first time
- Wrote and produced e-newsletters, email blasts and analyzed results, wrote articles for todayscampus.com
- Managed printers, editors, writers, and freelancers—reduced cost and improved turnaround time
Creative Services Manager
Selling Power magazine | 1997-2006
Selling Power magazine was a publication for sales professionals. Managed the production, distribution and audio content of Selling Power Live—the audio version of the magazine. Created innovative mailers and CD inserts for inclusion in the magazine that saved printing and postal costs. Negotiated with multiple vendors to reduce the unit cost from more than a dollar to less than 25 cents.
- Converted file delivery from PostScript to PDF workflow, which decreased turnaround time by two days and cost by 20%
- Ensured quality by press, bindery and shipping checks for press runs of 260,000+ each month
- Slashed mailing and shipping costs by developing innovative mailing and packaging methods
- Designed and analyzed subscription efforts and determined the best price points, messages and colors
- Established a reprints department—generating $60,000+ per year
Coast Publishing | 1985-1996
Port St. Lucie, Florida
Coast Publishing grew rapidly from one publication to eight (Quick Printing, Southern Graphics, Craftsmen Review, Magazine Issues, Artes Gráficas, African Printer, Printing Products International, Conversión y Empaque and Tecnología del Plástico). Starting as the art director for one magazine, I designed 100 pages per month, increasing to more than 500 pages per month with the addition of more titles, as well as additional collateral support, direct response cards, inserts, media kits and newsletters. Produced the magazines from initial layout to final files and created schedules, purchased train-loads of paper and trained my team as we grew. I investigated and initiated new methods, hardware and programs to improve quality and efficiency.
Started as a graphic designer and advanced to leading a team of 15 designers and editors. In addition to being a designer. Editor, writer, and circulation manager for eight titles, some of which were published in Spanish and printed in Colómbia
Spearheaded publishing efforts with partners in Colombia and South Africa, developed editorial, circulation, and marketing goals, established budgets, schedules and vendor contracts
Controlled a $2 million annual budget for printing, paper, prepress, personnel and shipping
Wrote articles on the technical aspects of printing and interviewed industry leaders (Kinko’s founder Paul Orfalea, Time Magazine’s art director David Merrill, SNAP Instant Printing’s founder Paddy Thompson, etc.) in America and Australia
- Utica College
Master’s in Cybersecurity—Specialization in Computer Forensics | 2015
- Rutgers University
Mini-MBA Graduate Degree—Social Media Marketing | 2012
- Florida State University
Bachelor’s in Communications and Visual Arts—Specialization in Advertising | 1983
CERTIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Design Software: Adobe Creative: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Pro, Premiere
- Operating Systems: Apple OSX, Windows, Linux
- Miscellaneous Programs: Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook
Open Source: Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP, OpenShot Video Editor, PortableApps, VLC, Darktable, LibreOffice. HTML, Google Analytics, Google Docs, WordPress, Hex Editor, Basecamp3
- Certifications: Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ), FEMA: Social Media, Nat’l. Infrastructure, Dale Carnegie, Certified Fencing Instructor
- Video/Newspaper: Associate producer and on-air talent for 1800 Seconds TV show and ad production artist for The Florida Flambeau newspaper while at Florida State University. Created YouTube Channel for the St. Lawrence University IT Reunion
- Amateur Radio License, Technician Class: K2JPM
St. Lawrence University Enrichment Program: “Graphic Design Using Adobe and Open Source” | Fall 2017
St. Lawrence University Retiree Meeting: “Cybersecurity for Retirees” | April 2017
- Designer/Seminar Speaker/Database Consultant
Treasure Coast YMCA | Stuart, Florida | 2011-2016
- Website Designer/Charter Member
Treasure Coast Fencing Academy | Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2008-2016
- Website Designer/Treasurer/Scout Leader/Secretary/Unit Founder |
Boy Scouts of America | Locust Grove, Virginia and Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2000-2013
- Website Designer/Board Member
Little League Baseball | Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2009-2010
- Designer/Communications Committee Member
Lake of the Woods Association | Locust Grove, Virginia | 2005-2007
- Graphic Design/Technology Consultant
Lake Currents newspaper | Locust Grove, Virginia | 2005-2007
- Website Designer/Teacher’s Helper
Orange County Schools | Locust Grove, Virginia | 2004-2007 | Volunteer of the Year-2006
National Association of Educational Procurement (NAEP)
University and College Designers Association (UCDA)
American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
American Radio Relay League (ARRL)
Now that you know me,
take the Jeff Macharyas Crossword Challenge!
Think you know everything about me? Think again!
Test your knowledge by clicking the link below.
Answers can be found on my LinkedIn profile.