Development and Alumni Relations Communications Specialist | Clarkson University Potsdam, New York
- Create marketing material for the Development and Alumni Relations department at Clarkson University.
- Produce newsletters, postcards, letters, websites
- Use WordPress and SquareSpace to create websites for Development and Alumni Relations
- Use iModules to create, write, design and edit eNewsletters, email blasts and web pages for Development and Alumni Relations
- Working on integration plan for Salesforce.com, Google Suite and WordPress to create a more robust CRM/CMS for Development and Alumni Relations
- Interview faculty, students, alumni and write articles for newsletters, websites, letters and emails
- Work with student interns on writing and photography assignments
- Create effective and cost-efficient methods of delivering our message
- Maintain social media channels
- Create promotional videos using Adobe Premiere, After Effects and open source tools such as OpenShot, LibreOffice and Inkscape
- Use the Adobe Creative Suite to produce print and online marketing material, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Spark, Premiere, After Effects and the open source HTML editor Brackets
- Track email and web interaction using Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics and iModules Analytics
University Communications Design and Production | St. Lawrence University Canton, New York
- Art director and proofreader for St. Lawrence University magazine.
- Improved workflow from native files and vendor-controlled color correction to PDF submission, online proofing and in-house color correction.
- Initiated the use of Adobe InCopy to improve editorial efficiency.
- Designed logos, brochures, posters and other marketing material for various departments, such as Development, IT, Admissions, Alumni, at St. Lawrence University
- Manage projects, schedules and vendors
- Managed student intern
- Converted job production logs from paper to web-based, interactive job tracking system.
- Consulted with the IT department evaluating RFPs and recommending new equipment for print shop.
- Realized a savings of more than $100,000/year by switching vendors and redesigning the magazine to perfect binding, improving paper and adapting design to new format
Production Manager/Designer | Outdoor Sportsman Group Stuart, Florida
Ensured that Florida Sportsman magazine was produced correctly and on time. Guided production for 13 issues per year, as well as media kits, websites, print and online ads using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, WordPress and Illustrator.
- Produced interactive media kits and forms, ads, trade show material and book illustrations.
- Used digital forensics to identify and fix files.
- Researched market trends, competition and partners using open source analytics.
- Produced reports using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Introduced an innovative “flipbook” concept for newsstand customers
- Website and print designer for partners and advertisers. Set-up Google Analytics to track response
Creative Director/Writer | Today’s Campus magazine West Palm Beach, Florida
The Greentree Gazette was a publication for college business offices. Improved the design and production of the publication and forged a closer relationship with the vendors. To better reflect the audience, re-branded the magazine to Today’s Campus. Designed the logo and redesigned the magazine to give it a professional appearance. Student Loan Buying Guide was added in 2008.
- Initiated a subscription and renewal program that generated qualified subscriptions for the first time.
- Wrote and produced e-newsletters, email blasts and analyzed results, wrote articles for todayscampus.com.
- Managed printers, editors, writers, and freelancers—reduced cost and improved turnaround time.
Production Manager | Selling Power magazine Fredericksburg, Virginia
Selling Power magazine was a publication for sales professionals. Managed the production, distribution and audio content of Selling Power Live—the audio version of the magazine. Created innovative mailers and CD inserts for inclusion in the magazine that saved printing and postal costs. Negotiated with multiple vendors to reduce the unit cost from more than a dollar to less than 25 cents.
- Converted file delivery from PostScript to PDF workflow, which decreased turnaround time by two days and cost by 20%.
- Ensured quality by press, bindery and shipping checks for press runs of 260,000+ each month.
- Slashed mailing and shipping costs by developing innovative mailing and packaging methods.
- Designed and analyzed subscription efforts and determined the best price points, messages and colors.
- Established a reprints department—generating $60,000+ per year.
VP-Operations | Coast Publishing Port St. Lucie, Florida
Coast Publishing rapidly grew from one title to eight. Started as the art director for one magazine, producing approximately 100 pages per month to more than 500 with the addition of more titles, along with more collateral support, direct response cards, inserts, media kits and newsletters for the titles. Produced the magazines from initial layout to final files and created schedules, bought paper and trained associates as my team grew. I constantly investigated and initiated new methods, hardware and programs to improve quality and efficiency.
- Started as a graphic designer and advanced to leading a team of 15 designers and editors.
- Editor, writer, and circulation manager for eight titles, some of which were published in Spanish.
- Spearheaded publishing efforts with partners in Colombia and South Africa, developed editorial, circulation, and marketing goals, established budgets, schedules and vendor contracts.
- Controlled a $2 million annual budget for printing, paper, prepress, personnel and shipping.
- Wrote articles on the technical aspects of printing and interviewed industry leaders in America and Australia (Snap Instant Printing, Pink Panther Printing, Kwik-Kopy).
- Utica College | Master of Science. Cybersecurity/Computer Forensics
- Rutgers University | Mini-MBA—Social Media Marketing
- Florida State University | Bachelor of Science. Communications/Advertising
CERTIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Software: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Pro, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP, Openshot Video Editor, Audacity, LibreOffice, VirtualBox, Brackets
- Operating Systems: Apple OSX, Windows, Linux
- Online Tools: HTML, Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, WordPress, iModules, Salesforce
- Certifications: Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ), FEMA: Social Media, Nat’l. Infrastructure, Dale Carnegie Institute
- Licensed Amateur Radio Operator: K2JPM
- Video/Newspaper: Associate producer and on-air talent for 1800 Seconds TV show and ad production artist for The Florida Flambeau newspaper while at Florida State University. Created a YouTube channel, along with banners and posters for the St. Lawrence University IT Department Reunion
- Publication Consultant | St. Lawrence University | The Hill News (newspaper) redesign and project management
- Instructor | St. Lawrence University | Graphic Design Using Open Source Software
- Community Moderator/Writer | Opensource.com | Emerging Writer 2017, People’s Choice 2018
- Seminar Presenter | Lawrence University | Cybersecurity for Retirees
- Designer/Seminar Speaker/Database Consultant | Treasure Coast YMCA | Smartphone Operations
- Website Designer/Charter Member | Treasure Coast Fencing Academy | Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Website Designer/Treasurer/Scout Leader/Secretary/Unit Founder | Boy Scouts of America | Orange County, Virginia and Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Website Designer/Board Member | Little League Baseball | Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Designer/Communications Committee Member | Lake of the Woods Association | Lake of the Woods, Virginia
- Graphic Design/Technology Consultant | Lake Currents | Lake of the Woods, Virginia
- Website Designer/Teacher’s Helper | Orange Schools | Orange County, Virginia, Volunteer of the Year
WordPress Website: macharyas.com
Behance Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/JeffMacharyas
Opensource Articles: https://opensource.com/users/jeffmacharyas