Development Communications Writer | Clarkson University | 2017-
Potsdam, New York
- Write and design marketing material, social media, web content, newsletters for Development and Alumni Relations
- Re-created Development websites using WordPress (annie.clarkson.edu)
- Using iModules, create, write and design e-Newsletters, email blasts and track with Google Analytics
- Write and maintain Development social media channels, specifically Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Interview alumni, students and faculty for compelling articles in newsletters, websites, emails, and social media
University Communications | St. Lawrence University | 2016-2017
Canton, New York
- Art director and proofreader for St. Lawrence University magazine.
- Improved workflow from native files and vendor-controlled color correction to PDF submission, online proofing and in-house color correction.
- Initiated the use of Adobe InCopy to improve editorial efficiency.
- Design logos, brochures, posters and other marketing material for various departments, such as Development, IT, Admissions, Alumni, at St. Lawrence University
- Manage projects, schedules and vendors.
- Converted job production logs from paper to web-based, interactive job tracking system.
- Consult with the IT department evaluating RFPs and recommending new equipment for print shop.
- Realized a savings of more than $100,000/year by switching vendors and retooling mailing methods while converting magazine to perfect binding, improving paper and adapting design to new format
Production Manager/Designer | Outdoor Sportsman Group | 2013-2015
Ensured that Florida Sportsman magazine was produced correctly and on time. Guided production for 13 issues per year, as well as media kits, websites, print and online ads using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, WordPress and Illustrator.
- Produced interactive media kits and forms, ads, trade show material and book illustrations.
- Used digital forensics to identify and fix files.
- Researched market trends, competition and partners using open source analytics.
- Produced reports using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Introduced an innovative “flipbook” concept for newsstand customers
- Website and print designer for partners and advertisers. Set-up Google Analytics to track response
Creative Director/Writer | Today’s Campus magazine | 2007-2011
West Palm Beach, Florida
The Greentree Gazette was a publication for college business offices. Improved the design and production of the publication and forged a closer relationship with the vendors. To better reflect the audience, re-branded the magazine to Today’s Campus. Designed the logo and redesigned the magazine to give it a professional appearance. Student Loan Buying Guide was added in 2008.
- Initiated a subscription and renewal program that generated qualified subscriptions for the first time.
- Wrote and produced e-newsletters, email blasts and analyzed results, wrote articles for todayscampus.com.
- Managed printers, editors, writers, and freelancers—reduced cost and improved turnaround time.
Production Manager | Selling Power magazine | 1997-2006
Selling Power magazine was a publication for sales professionals. Managed the production, distribution and audio content of Selling Power Live—the audio version of the magazine. Created innovative mailers and CD inserts for inclusion in the magazine that saved printing and postal costs. Negotiated with multiple vendors to reduce the unit cost from more than a dollar to less than 25 cents.
- Converted file delivery from PostScript to PDF workflow, which decreased turnaround time by two days and cost by 20%.
- Ensured quality by press, bindery and shipping checks for press runs of 260,000+ each month.
- Slashed mailing and shipping costs by developing innovative mailing and packaging methods.
- Designed and analyzed subscription efforts and determined the best price points, messages and colors.
- Established a reprints department—generating $60,000+ per year.
VP-Operations | Coast Publishing | 1985-1996
Port St. Lucie, Florida
Coast Publishing rapidly grew from one title to eight. Started as the art director for one magazine, producing approximately 100 pages per month to more than 500 with the addition of more titles, along with more collateral support, direct response cards, inserts, media kits and newsletters for the titles. Produced the magazines from initial layout to final files and created schedules, bought paper and trained associates as my team grew. I constantly investigated and initiated new methods, hardware and programs to improve quality and efficiency.
- Started as a graphic designer and advanced to leading a team of 15 designers and editors.
- Editor, writer, and circulation manager for eight titles, some of which were published in Spanish.
- Spearheaded publishing efforts with partners in Colombia and South Africa, developed editorial, circulation, and marketing goals, established budgets, schedules and vendor contracts.
- Controlled a $2 million annual budget for printing, paper, prepress, personnel and shipping.
- Wrote articles on the technical aspects of printing and interviewed industry leaders in America and Australia.
- Utica College | Master of Science. Cybersecurity/Computer Forensics | 2015
- Rutgers University | Mini-MBA—Social Media Marketing | 2012
- Florida State University | Bachelor of Science. Communications/Advertising | 1983
CERTIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Software: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Pro, AdobeSpark, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP, Openshot Video Editor, Audacity, LibreOffice, VirtualBox, Brackets
- Operating Systems: Apple OSX, Windows, Linux
- Online Tools: HTML, Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, WordPress, iModules, Salesforce
- Certifications: Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ), FEMA: Social Media, Nat’l. Infrastructure, Dale Carnegie Institute
- Licensed Amateur Radio Operator: K2JPM
- Video/Newspaper: Associate producer and on-air talent for 1800 Seconds TV show and ad production artist for The Florida Flambeau newspaper while at Florida State University. Created a YouTube channel, along with banners and posters for the St. Lawrence University IT Department Reunion
- Instructor | Lawrence University | Graphic Design Using Open Source Software | Fall 2017
- Community Moderator/Writer | Opensource.com | Emerging Writer 2017, People’s Choice 2018
- Seminar Presenter | Lawrence University | Cybersecurity for Retirees | 2017
- Designer/Seminar Speaker/Database Consultant | Treasure Coast YMCA | Smartphone Operations | 2011-2016
- Website Designer/Charter Member | Treasure Coast Fencing Academy | Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2008-2016
- Website Designer/Treasurer/Scout Leader/Secretary/Unit Founder | Boy Scouts of America | Orange County, Virginia
and Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2000-2013
- Website Designer/Board Member | Little League Baseball | Port St. Lucie, Florida | 2009-2010
- Designer/Communications Committee Member | Lake of the Woods Association | Lake of the Woods, Virginia | 2005-2007
- Graphic Design/Technology Consultant | Lake Currents | Lake of the Woods, Virginia | 2005-2007
- Website Designer/Teacher’s Helper | Orange Schools | Orange County, Virginia | 2004-2007 | Volunteer of the Year-2006
WordPress Website: www.macharyas.com
Behance Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/JeffMacharyas
Opensource Articles: https://opensource.com/users/jeffmacharyas
Google Partners (GAIQ): https://www.google.com/partners/#i_profile;idtf=106364950592427531028